This week we had our first ever sparring class here in China.
Let me start off by saying that if you taught a class like this in the west, you'd get sued. Or you'd end up with an entire school of macho mouth breathers.
Basically it consisted of Shifu pairing us off and everyone standing in a circle watching each match of about 10 straight minutes. We had cheap boxing gloves and no other equipment and the only guidance we were given before beginning was to use only punches for now, no kicks until we were more experienced (the only real caution as far as I can see) then we went at it. Some of us had years of experience and some of us had absolutely zero but this was not acknowledged in any way. Most of the time the only feedback we were given was to punch harder. Some people were so afraid they either crouched into a ball with hands over their head, or started crying. When one woman with years of competitive fighting experience in Russia gave her partner with zero experience a bloody nose and black eye, she was not scolded at all, Shifu's reassurance was to tell him that this is a 'normal' part of sparring practice. I was lucky to end up paired with Mel whom I'm very familiar with but after our match we were told that we wouldn't be allowed to spar again because we love each other too much to try to hurt each other. I don't want to try to hurt anyone, I just want to learn, but I guess I'll have to change that if I'm going to participate in these classes.
Although it was pretty intense and I don't approve of the way it was handled, I feel confident after watching everyone that I can hold my own against any of them for the most part. It made me feel so grateful for the training I've done at Silent River over the years. If I didn't have that experience behind me I would have been completely overwhelmed and probably terrified. The way we are taught is so effective and there is so much emphasis placed on control and safety that nobody needs to be afraid. We can all learn together. After seeing the way things are done here, I have a new appreciation for the structure of sparring lessons at home. I now have an example for when I open my own school one day of how to go about the sparring training....and how not to.
Thanks Sifu Brinker for your intelligent fighting training. I'd be lost here without it.
3 comments:
I'm glad to hear that you and Mel are being as safe as you can manage. You are a real inspiration for all you're accomplishing!
That is SO CRAZY! That sparring class sounds chaotic.
Poor crying, balled up, bloody, bruised people!
Trail by fire!
And they call us the wild west.
Adrien
Post a Comment