Thursday, April 1, 2010

So I finally decided to do something about my knees already. They've been bothering me off and on for at least a month now but other than stretching and massage I didn't really know what to do about it. Shifu suggested I try acupuncture at the local hospital and today was my 5th session. The doctor said I would need at least a week of treatment and reduced activity so I am doing my best to take it easy for now.

The treatments consist of needles in both knees hooked up to a mild electrical current for about an hour with a heat lamp (the best part by far) pointed at my knees. Then they do cupping on the area by placing hot bamboo cups on the points which creates suction and pulls my flesh up inside them, leaving circular shaped bruises on my legs. The last and most painful step is a herbal injection into my knee. Apparently the tendon or ligament doesn't have enough circulation so they inject a herbal solution into the problem area to move the blood and chi. Although at first I was really skittish about the injection, I do think it's doing some good. It's hard to be patient because my western mind wants to see significant results right away but I know that I'll have to finish the treatments and slowly start training harder again before I can really see much difference.

The doctor said no running, jumping, low stances, or kicks for the meantime which basically leaves me with a modified qigong and tai chi practice for now with lots of standing meditation and dragon claw practice. Though it's hard not to do the things I'm used to, I try to be sensible. I constantly remind myself that pushing myself too much, too fast is probably the worst thing for my progression in the long run. It's especially hard to rest here because any type of reduced activity comes with feelings of guilt and doubt, as if the problem isn't actually that bad and my mind is creating an excuse not to train. I have to remember that I am an adult with lots of training experience and lots of motivation and that sometimes resting is the best thing for an injury.

No comments: