I thought I'd write a post about something that's been on my mind a lot lately, menses.
Being a menstruating woman here is really different. Sifu told me that we need to take care not to overtrain during the first few days of our menses but it's kind of awkward because people notice that you're not doing as much as you normally do. Naturally they ask you if something is wrong, if you're sick, if everything is ok. I don't really want to discuss my cycle with the entire school but then you have to make up some other excuse "oh I'm just really tired today" and I prefer to tell the truth. I usually train as normally as I feel is appropriate and end up saying something vague, trying to change the subject. I think I'll eventually just have to get over it and the guys here will just know all about my periods. Awesome.
There are no tampons here either. We brought about $100 worth with us and when they are gone, we will have to go to the nearest big city to buy more. It's pretty annoying to have to make a big trip just for that but I can't imagine trying to do the training that we do while wearing a pad. I did bring a diva cup with me (www.divacup.com)but I haven't been able to figure out how to use it properly so until then, it's tampons for me.
Sifu told us that we're not supposed to drink cold drinks during our menses because it cools our blood too much and causes more cramps and can also make it last longer. I decided to give it a try and have only been drinking warm or hot beverages. It's really made a difference! I only had cramps the first day and they were quite mild. When I think back to all the times I pigged out on ice cream when I had my period it's kind of funny. Why are we sometimes so drawn to the worst thing for us? I wonder how many menstruating women are eating ice cream right now.
The book I'm reading right now is called Sex, Time, and Power and it discusses a lot about evolution and women's sexuality. The author claims that the reason homo sapiens were able to tell the passage of time so very long ago is due to women's menstrual cycles and they way they coincide with the cycles of the moon. The combination of an internal and external event of 29.5 days in length eventually got through our thick skulls and we were able to see the past and the future as well as the present. Humans are the only species with such a capacity for forsight and the only one with females possesing such a dramatic menses (a few other animals menstruate but none with the severity and timing of a human female). Well if you find the topic interesting, I recommend reading the book. It's very informative.
At home it's a lot easier to ignore my periods but while I'm in Wudang and training hard, it's a lot more in my face. I have to admit that in a way I'm enjoying being more in touch with my cycle. My sister and I are sharing a room and after less than 2 months our cycles are already synchronizing. I think another 2 months should do the trick. Then for a few days every month all the guys here will have to watch out! haha. I also read that the cause of PMS is a drop in estrogen and progesterone right before menses. This means that for a short while, women have more testosterone circulating than any other sex hormones. Basically we become more aggressive and difficult, the way men are all the time. ha! Of course I'm speaking in generalizations here, not everyone fits these kind of stereotypes. I just like learning about the physiology of peoples behaviors.
That's all for now. Hopefully people were able to set aside any squeamishness about this topic. I also hope that I've inspired some to learn more about thier bodies and how they work. Pretty cool stuff.
3 comments:
We read that book in my book club a few years back -- it's a very interesting theory, although I must admit I didn't totally buy into it. He makes a lot of good arguments, though.
That intrigues me, what you mentioned about cutting back on cold drinks, etc. I certainly know that I am more comforted by warmth, during my period, and aggravated by cold.
I thought of you, yesterday, when we had our first snowfall. I was grumbling my way to work, and I thought of how you always bounded in, so excited, when the snow finally fell.
We miss you loads and loads. Glad to hear you're doing well.
Love you,
Rhondie.
This is a really great post. I have a book called "Reflections of the Moon on Water". Written by Xiaolan Zhao, CMD. It is full of information regarding menses, and I liked how it is seen as a special thing in the chinese culture. Not taboo like here. There was mention of egg soup - It helps to increase circulation,nourish the body and keep it warm, which keeps blood and Chi moving smoothly. There is mention of not having anything cold to eat or drink. It was explained in the book, that cold food and drink tax and devitalize the spleen. And because of this imbalance, we experience nausea, cramps and excessive bleeding.
Very interesting indeed.
Take care of yourself Sifu!
Sifu Wilson
who knew tea was so great for you... you are crazy for posting this, yet totally awesome. Miss you a bunch!!
Post a Comment