I'm all better. I took a few extra days off on pretty much everyones advice and I think I made the right decision. I'm back to doing push-ups and I'm not feeling any pain at all. Now I can start playing catch up with that.
I started training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu this week in order to get my grappling hours done in time for China. I'm still going to have to practice outside of class but at least now I'll have an arsenal of things I can work on. In some ways the class was really different from kung fu and in other ways it's the same. A lot of the basics are similar to ours. We learned how to get up safely after being taken down and I realized Master Brinker taught us that in class already. The more I learn the more I realize what a great instructor he is. Being in China and taking BJJ has really made me appreciate Silent River and Master Brinker. I'm so grateful that our training has been so well rounded over the years. I really enjoy learning a new style so far but I don't think I'll ever fall in love with it the way I've fallen in love with kung fu. I find that every time I learn something new that's really cool, the thing that excites me the most is taking it back and trying it out in our class or showing it to everyone to see what they think. I hope that I continue to learn some neat things with BJJ but I really only want to round out my kung fu training, not replace it.
Last night Master Brinker gave us an inspiring little talk about our progress. I was balking a bit at having to buy an expensive jiu jitsu gi that I'm only going to use for 4 months but he mentioned that if we thought we didn't have the money to train at what we wanted, our priorities were messed up. I know that he probably didn't mean to direct that at me but it was exactly what I needed to hear. I've decided that in order to make up for the cost of the gi I'm going to stop buying lunch every day and more diligently make my own at home. I'm sure it'll be healthier and cheaper in the long run anyway.
Last night was inspiring for another reason. Hearing about everyones trip to Alabama and how they felt about helping people and associating with high level martial artists was amazing. I can tell that it made a really big impression on them. They were both humbled and proud(of our teams hard work). I really see that they've had a powerful experience that will probably change their lives for the better. I'm proud of you guys!
1 comment:
Uh, I didn't say your priorities were messed up. It is important that we recognize that not being able to afford our training but being okay with cable TV, cell phones, and $5 coffees, we are actually saying that catering to these wants is a higher priority than our training. If you think that means your priorities are messed up then that is your opinion. No one but you is qualified to say where your priorities should be because no one but yourself has all the information required to make that call.
I am really impressed with your training, drive, and especially your journalling. You inspire and motivate me to train harder.
Post a Comment