Monday, April 21, 2014

It's been raining a lot these past 2 weeks or so and as a result we've mostly been training indoors. It's basically impossible to do weapons forms or a number of empty hand forms in our space, even just finding a few square feet can be a challenge. Our training is a lot different, for basics we might still do kicks or stances, but we might also practice jump kicks, rolls, or acrobatics. There are a few weights (with missing pieces of course) and a chin up bar, as well as a whole bunch of smelly, old pads we can use. As a result I've been doing more strength training and acrobatics (if you can call what I do acrobatic that is) and less forms and stretching. It's kind of fun to have a shift of focus like this sometimes. I still have quite a bit of time to myself and I'm enjoying that too. It'll feel really good when it clears up to train outside again though, I'm looking forward to that.

A good friend will be arriving here this week so I'm excited. I miss my girlfriends at home sometimes and she sort of fills that gap when she's here. I love my classmates but there is something different about spending time with women that I miss out on while I'm here. Thank goodness for Mel! It can be hard to make female friends here because some of the guys are always in such a competition to try to get close to the ladies. It's ridiculous to watch, actually. Anyway, I'm happy Rachael will be here.

No comments: