Wow, it's gotten very hot! This week we definitely started SUMMER in Wudang. It's been super hot and humid and miserable. I always hate summer here and all I can say is that I really hope this one passes quickly.
On another note, I'm reading a history of Chinese martial arts and it starts waaay back with the Shang dynasty (1600 BC -1046 BC) and there are some interesting things in there. One of the cool things I read about was the martial dances that became popular in the following Zhou dynasty either to get everyone pumped up for a coming battle or in court to relive past successes. From what I've read these martial dances consisted of weapons forms and martial choreography to music. I never knew that the pairing of martial arts with music had such a long history. Makes me think differently about performances done to music. Here in Wudang we use the same 6 songs for every performance and all the other schools use those songs too, it's so boring! If I wasn't so bored of these performances in general, I'd try to get a few new songs added in there to spice things up a little but they all seem perfectly happy to just continue on doing things the same over and over again. China's weird like that.
No comments:
Post a Comment