Thursday, June 17, 2010

It is hot!

Summer is here in Wudang and man is it something. I remembered reading that we were in a mountainous subtropical region but in the winter when it gets cold enough to snow sometimes that's easy to forget. Well not only is it scorching hot (around 40) but it's also really humid most of the time. We just had a week of rain and now this week the temperature just shot up. The perfect recipe for buggy, muggy, hot weather. Normally I really enjoy that we train outside in the ruins of a really cool temple but there have been more than a few days lately where I wished we had an indoor training hall with good old fashioned ceiling fans. Alas, that is not the case. Luckily Shifu is merciful and we usually save our most rigorous training for the evening class. Morning classes end at 11am and then we take a siesta until meditation at 3:30pm so the hottest part of the day we're inside. It's still pretty rough on a couple of pale Canadian girls though. I've managed to avoid sunburns so far but I sure didn't avoid getting eaten alive. I'm currently sporting about 30 black fly and mosquito bites which is pretty uncomfortable at times.

Well that's enough complaining for now. I hope to become accustomed to this in another couple of weeks. We've been working on perfecting our forms lately and improving our sidekicks. It's been good training, not as exciting as learning new forms but just as important.

Until next time.

No comments: